Don't forget to read the IMPROVED rules!

Internet Relationships

Danneh

Internet Relationships

Post by Danneh on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:14 pm

*first*

Alright, so, now we discuss that ever-fragile topic of... ONLINE LOVE. *dundundun*

Sure, it's a pretty cool thing, being able to meet people over the globe who share your interests... Definitely gives you a lot more options than real life does. There, you're just restricted to whoever lives in your general area.

So, are you for or against these lovely little ways to find love?

Myself (and this might come as a shocker to some of you)... I'm against 'em now. (OMG WTF)

Yeah, a lot of you remember a few of my escapades in love in Maple, Mabi, etc. Which is EXACTLY why I'm done with them.

Sure, it might let you get to know the person as themselves before anything else, which is great in my opinion, but the negatives of the whole thing... just aren't worth it. The distance is emotionally straining after, say, a couple weeks at the most, and there's just a lack of interaction... You can't blow all your money on your wonderful significant other to take her to the movies, or out for a good dinner... You're pretty much limited to whatever the internet has to offer. Which would be an extreme lack of physical contact and interaction (no, I don't mean just sex. I'm not that big of a perv, dammit)... which I just can't stand anymore.

So, yeah... I think I'll just stick to being single forever in reality than causing myself more pain than I can stand using my laptop. Internet relationships, never again.

So that's my stand. Gimme yours now.

(I promise I'll come up with better topics for debate later, this just stuck out the most atm)
    Werguild

Re: Internet Relationships

Post by Werguild on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Unless you eventually plan on meeting that someone in reality, it would be VERY difficult to hold a serious relationship.

I oppose online love for minors because of the lack of mobility, but it's considerable after you can travel on your own.
    Lilly
    Admin

Post by Lilly on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I used to think it was better because you only could see a person's personality, not looks. But I guess that doesn't work because a lot of people are different online and offline. But it could work, after all, 1 out of 8 happily married couples in America first met online.
    Whatshername

Post by Whatshername on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Online relationships can work sometimes, but are sort of hard to maintain.

With real life ones, you get to see the person and talk to them pretty often and all. Like if they go to your school or something you see them almost every day. But with online relationships you don't really see the other person often enough, and you start to dream about what they'll say and what you'll talk about. When you actually see the person, though, of course they won't really say what you thought and might not want to talk about what you wanted to talk about, and that starts to sort of just lose interest in them.

Other times, though, if they know each other well enough, and if you talk enough, I think it can work.

I'm sure never trying an online relationship again, though. Lol.
    michelle

Post by michelle on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

overrated.
    in my opinion, that is.
    unless you truly love someone via interweb.
    chibiichigo

Post by chibiichigo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:58 pm

I think 99% have no chance and are pointless and somewhat funny. the one percent, they are lucky bastards who prolly could get people in real life.
    Starrr

Post by Starrr on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:05 pm

I think that if people truly love each other, it could work out
    i agree completely with those who said its very unlikely.
    i think the main flaw is that online, many can lie about who they are. Those people bother me cuz sometimes they dont even mean to lie but they can really toy with ones emotions.
    ive had to deal with those kind of relationships before and let me say, never again.
    its hard to truly trust someone you have never seen in real life before
    another fault is what if you internet fails? you may not talk to them for months and then you can just lose interest or it will drive you crazy wandering what they are doing.
    blizen

Post by blizen on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Well whoever said love is unbreakable hasn't tried online love...

if you dont plan on going too far with the relationship then woot for dating online rabbit
    ItzJuSt1N

Post by ItzJuSt1N on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:18 pm

E HARMONY!!!

thats all i gotta say if you want online love go there dont bring it to a video game and mess up the minors who play this games mind.

i may be wrong tho and i might sound hippicritical but i myself have some strong relationships over online with some people (not love tho jeez >.<)
    michelle

Post by michelle on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm gonna count up all the internet dating sites I've heard of
    eHarmony
    Chemistry
    Match.com
    CelebMatch or whatever the hell it was
    AlpineDating (or whatever it was, I'm not to sure about this one)
    and the list extends to about 7.
    Lilly
    Admin

Post by Lilly on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:35 pm

and pleantyoffish.com (Saw an add for it on darc's forum lawl)
    chibiichigo

Post by chibiichigo on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:41 pm

oh dont forget those "Adult" ones ;P
    ItzJuSt1N

Post by ItzJuSt1N on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:55 pm

lol he has a point ^^^
    dmkrodan

Post by dmkrodan on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 am

i say that online dat5ing can only work if you are two extremely clingy individuals with nothing better to do, with 24 hour web cam and phone connection...kus you cannot <i>possibly </i> trust the other person unless they are contactable 24/7

well, thats one way of looking at it, and that is true to a point, my problem with an online relationship is trust issues, if i could trust the person, then possibly, MAYBE it would work until i could move to see them., (i have the money i could change states on a whim)

but when youare poor and have no money, have no self esteem, and find an online date, commit to her, put everything you got into spending as much time with her as possible, only to find that shes cheating on you, with someone in real life and or on the net elsewhere or even in the
    Same game, it kinda hurts, and it kiinda destroys whats left of your low selfesteem.

internet dating is good if you wanna be an emo, like me.

Although sadly enough, i am willing to this day to still try an internet relationship, if the other party was willing to to, and it was one of the three or four women iactually trust onlnie anymore.

in other words, i would have had to know them for three years ... online or offline....

once youve seen that much of them that long you can sorta understand who they are. . .
    Kalrad

Are you serious?

Post by Kalrad on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Ok, get ready for one of my much hated, yet apparently well respected rants.

Online dating is open to those who feel the need to have a relationship more based on imagination than fact. If so happens these people waht to bring it into reality, then there is that option as well.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT lob these people in with sick-o's who have issues with the real world. If you do, I'd be one of them. Besides, what's the big deal? Is he/she harmiong your life, is he/she taking away from your valuable time?

If the answer is yes, then stop medling and get on with your own life. Seriously people. What is wrong with happiness? Is it so bad to be happy?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm