Don't forget to read the IMPROVED rules!


    Religion...why?

    Share
    avatar
    Lilly
    Admin

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2009-04-14
    Age : 20
    Location : Viridian City

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Lilly on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 pm

    Bellaaa wrote:Because they can and it's free.
    Happy?

    EXACTLY.
    avatar
    Whatshername

    Posts : 1290
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20
    Location : Woodstock {without the pot}

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Whatshername on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:58 pm

    chibiichigo2 wrote:I've actually hit someone with a bible to prove a point once.

    LOL.

    But wait
    What does being twelve have to do with any of this
    o.o
    avatar
    blizen

    Posts : 1706
    Join date : 2009-04-16
    Age : 25
    Location : There's this cloud in the sky, don't look there.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by blizen on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm

    this convo has been great, i'm gonna go tell my dad
    "FUCK CHURCH" XD
    avatar
    Whatshername

    Posts : 1290
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20
    Location : Woodstock {without the pot}

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Whatshername on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:02 pm

    O.o Whatever floats your boat, dude...

    Y'know what's funny? My parents still think I'm Christian...
    But we don't go to Church or do anything truly special other then celebrate the Christian holidays
    So it doesn't really matter... Lol
    avatar
    chibiichigo

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 22
    Location : the very center of delicious irony.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by chibiichigo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 pm

    hahahahaha, christian holidays....all they did was take pagan holidays and say oh such and such happened today. And they still cant outrun commercialism!
    avatar
    Lilly
    Admin

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2009-04-14
    Age : 20
    Location : Viridian City

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Lilly on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 pm

    blizen wrote:this convo has been great, i'm gonna go tell my dad
    "FUCK CHURCH" XD

    Well that's only a little offensive.... o_O
    avatar
    Whatshername

    Posts : 1290
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20
    Location : Woodstock {without the pot}

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Whatshername on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:08 pm

    chibiichigo2 wrote:hahahahaha, christian holidays....all they did was take pagan holidays and say oh such and such happened today. And they still cant outrun commercialism!



    Ehh. I still love Christmas.
    Not for the toys or the religious aspects. It's just an all around pretty time.
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 pm

    Christmas has become Americanized. It's hardly even a Christian holiday anymore.
    avatar
    blizen

    Posts : 1706
    Join date : 2009-04-16
    Age : 25
    Location : There's this cloud in the sky, don't look there.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by blizen on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm

    Ducki. wrote:
    blizen wrote:this convo has been great, i'm gonna go tell my dad
    "FUCK CHURCH" XD

    Well that's only a little offensive.... o_O

    what chu mean
    just "believe" in teh cause >.>
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:27 pm

    No, she means you have to respect that people do believe in it >_<
    avatar
    SkylerOcon

    Posts : 66
    Join date : 2009-04-15

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by SkylerOcon on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:29 pm

    michelle wrote:No, she means you have to respect that people do believe in it >_<

    No I don't. Telling me I have to respect somebody who believes in religion is like telling me I have to respect somebody who thinks that the reason gravity exists is because invisible hands hold us to the ground and don't let us float away.

    When something clearly does not exist and is incredibly outdated, don't follow it.
    avatar
    Icky

    Posts : 790
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Location : south of somewhere, north of nowhere, east of the end, west of the beginning

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Icky on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm

    SkylerOcon wrote:No I don't. Telling me I have to respect somebody who believes in religion is like telling me I have to respect somebody who thinks that the reason gravity exists is because invisible hands hold us to the ground and don't let us float away.

    When something clearly does not exist and is incredibly outdated, don't follow it.
    If that is truly their view of gravity, then I would respect them for holding it so dear when the whole world is trying to prove them wrong.

    ~Like A Fish~
    avatar
    blizen

    Posts : 1706
    Join date : 2009-04-16
    Age : 25
    Location : There's this cloud in the sky, don't look there.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by blizen on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:33 pm

    well sugar the whole respect thing only applies if u receive it back and vis vursa

    and skyler has a realy good point..basically seeing is believing o.o


    Last edited by blizen on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i wrote bell not sugar lol)
    avatar
    Lilly
    Admin

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2009-04-14
    Age : 20
    Location : Viridian City

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Lilly on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:34 pm

    Well you don't have to respect them, but you shouldn't hate them for it either..
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:35 pm

    SkylerOcon wrote:
    michelle wrote:No, she means you have to respect that people do believe in it >_<

    No I don't. Telling me I have to respect somebody who believes in religion is like telling me I have to respect somebody who thinks that the reason gravity exists is because invisible hands hold us to the ground and don't let us float away.

    When something clearly does not exist and is incredibly outdated, don't follow it.
    Just saying. You can't really go up to someone and say their religion is stupid without having them being offended. There are those people out there who do go to church and do pray and do believe in whatever they believe in.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 pm

    There are a few Christians who believe in a different God than what the Bible teaches, who take Jesus as the role model for their lives, who pray so they can hear for themselves what they're really going through, who understand that the good feeling that comes from selfless acts isn't a lie, who realize that although some people do not believe in a better place after death it's no excuse to waste their lives thinking existence is meaningless and instead take time to find happiness, love, and friends, who know that people's differing beliefs should be respected, and most importantly, understand that religion is there to help, not hinder, because when people waste time sifting through what they think are flawed structures of beliefs trying to find loopholes that seem inherently immoral, there are the lucky few who know how to take the big picture seriously and make the best of themselves, each and every day. I think this is what's important, and I hope I'm one of those people.
    My two cents on religion.
    Now, scientifically, people find flaws where there really aren't, and this goes for both sides. Think back: In the time period in which the Bible was written, ideas were comparatively primitive. Of course God wouldn't have "created" the world in the better part of a week. Should someone take the Old Testament literally, of course one will find conflict with science. Of course, there are also those who are rash enough to throw religion into every phenomena yet to be explained by science, and the plausible ones are grossly underrated. God says there was light? Big Bang, anyone? Personally, I believe in intelligent design, in which God creates and lets everything run on its own. It'd already be the paradise some people dream about if he stuck his hand in to yank out that hurricane or earthquake or freak meteor shower every now and then. What's the point of existence then? He wants us to learn what it's like to be human. That while there is suffering, instead of sitting around and blaming God for not giving a crap, we should get up off our asses and do something ourselves to make lives better.
    Then you're probably thinking, "Christianity doesn't explain inhumanity, like terrorism. Why did he allow such people to be even born?" I think we've all forgotten about Satan. Everyone has their own personal Satan that nudges them on the wrong path. Punishments aren't also "The will of God". Stoning? What pisses me off is how people back then had to assign God as a good reason for capital punishment. Coercive punishment, especially for homosexuality, is created by people, not encouraged by God. The Bible is basically showing the culture 2000 years ago, when people were maladaptive to consider the implications of deeper ethical reasoning. God should only be the one we look up to in moral judgment, not a scapegoat for disgusting punishments.
    I can't believe I had to justify what I believe in to all you skeptics. If you're going to question me again, please know first how completely content I am to be going the way I'm going, following the deity that has been so advertised, laughed at, shunned, or exaggerated, and ask yourself for what, WHAT possible reason you'd have to ask to stray off the path.
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 pm

    We're not gonna laugh.

    I hope the others won't.
    It's your point of view and we all should respect each other because we have different views. >.>
    avatar
    chibiichigo

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 22
    Location : the very center of delicious irony.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by chibiichigo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 pm

    Jet your one of the few people i know who is able to talk about religion intelligently.

    I myself am agnostic, i just think that fundamentalists are some of the most annoying human waste on the planet.

    Clatz

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2009-04-16

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:40 pm

    blizen wrote:
    michelle wrote:Religion came to be when people didn't understand science, so they just thought gods/goddesses controlled what they couldn't explain.
    thats so freakin true michelle

    not everyone wants to beleive science so what do they turn to, if not there own ignorant beliefs then the fictional character they call god, jesus, etc.

    so lets say there was an earthquake, most people know the scientific way but when u tell thos believers they say "it was god will"...WTF? why the hell would the same god who people believe will save them from all things harmful cause somthing so destructive Question

    To answer, read Paradise lost or The Book of Jude. Scripture says we lost a battle with Lucifer, and he claimed the earth as his kingdom, and hell as an expansion. This led to what the book of genesis calls, the true of knowledge of good and evil. Satan tempts Adam and Eve to consume the forbidden fruit, and humanity fell from grace at that point.
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:50 pm

    I'm not Christian. I don't know any of these. Lol.
    avatar
    chibiichigo

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 22
    Location : the very center of delicious irony.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by chibiichigo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 pm

    If your going to bother talking about religion you should have knowledge of it.
    Even though im agnostic ive read the bible, some of the quaran, the story of buddah, and also some hindu stories.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Guest on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:21 pm

    Thanks and I agree with Shafer on fundamentalists, they're pretty much a little too blissfully ignorant of both the implied moral of the story or simple logic to make any ends meet. They can get in your face with their wet microphones and quote the Bible word for word but ask them to explain it or how it can apply to how we really live as people, well damn. I think they're a little lost, honest to God Neutral
    avatar
    chibiichigo

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 22
    Location : the very center of delicious irony.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by chibiichigo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:24 pm

    I believe some religion has good intentions, but if you wanna see just how warped someone can make it, search Fred Phelps, possibly the scummiest guy on earth.
    avatar
    michelle

    Posts : 670
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 20

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by michelle on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm

    Do I have to know everything about religion to say that there are strong believers?
    I'm talking about the books he's mentioned.
    avatar
    chibiichigo

    Posts : 553
    Join date : 2009-04-15
    Age : 22
    Location : the very center of delicious irony.

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by chibiichigo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:55 pm

    nope, just putting it out there. Its a point i always make when talking about religion.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Religion...why?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 am