Don't forget to read the IMPROVED rules!

Religion...why?

SkylerOcon

Re: Religion...why?

Post by SkylerOcon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Jetk05 wrote:Thanks and I agree with Shafer on fundamentalists, they're pretty much a little too blissfully ignorant of both the implied moral of the story or simple logic to make any ends meet. They can get in your face with their wet microphones and quote the Bible word for word but ask them to explain it or how it can apply to how we really live as people, well damn. I think they're a little lost, honest to God Neutral

In a way, they certainly are. They are more than a little 'blissfully ignorant' and they're a lot of just ignorant.

Pretty much, they're the people who had it so forced onto them as a child, they just can't get it out. It's a bit sad, actually, that many of them hardly comprehend the book that they're touting about.

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 pm

SkylerOcon wrote:
    Jetk05 wrote:Thanks and I agree with Shafer on fundamentalists, they're pretty much a little too blissfully ignorant of both the implied moral of the story or simple logic to make any ends meet. They can get in your face with their wet microphones and quote the Bible word for word but ask them to explain it or how it can apply to how we really live as people, well damn. I think they're a little lost, honest to God Neutral

In a way, they certainly are. They are more than a little 'blissfully ignorant' and they're a lot of just ignorant.

Pretty much, they're the people who had it so forced onto them as a child, they just can't get it out. It's a bit sad, actually, that many of them hardly comprehend the book that they're touting about.

I disagree, I myself had to make my own way to church, for my folks are agnostic. You speak of religion as if you know it front and back, and have background checks of all believers. I'd say that's abit ignorant on your part.
    You don't understand for you fail to comprehend how God works just yet. Before being prejudice, look into that in which you wish to oppose.

Most people think, I can't touch, smell, see or hear God, so he must not exist. I too once thought this way, but consider this, after the publications of the electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned everything they can touch, smell, see and hear is less than One-millionth of a reality. Besides, gave you ever first hand/directly touched, smelled, seen, or heard you brain? Because according to what you say, your brain must not exist either.

You ever look at a building and say "it just got here with no architect"? Because that's what you say about the earth and the universe. You think particles collided and created the universe, and all matter within? According to science, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so how do 2 particles turn into planets, stars and all other matter?

Humans naturally pick out flaws that oppose what they believe, and don't look at their own logic's flaws.

Now, I'll admit, Christians are narrow minded, there's no ignoring that, for we live our lives by 66 books more commonly known as the bible. But out diplomacy is to lead lives of love (not neccissarilly in a romantic way, but love for humanity, life and God). So it leaves me wondering why people falsely testify, prejudge, and stereotype a people who lives not to hate, but to love.

Do me a favour and just think about these words.
    SkylerOcon

Post by SkylerOcon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Clatz wrote:You ever look at a building and say "it just got here with no architect"? Because that's what you say about the earth and the universe. You think particles collided and created the universe, and all matter within? According to science, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so how do 2 particles turn into planets, stars and all other matter?

I don't see how its so hard to comprehend that we just don't know how the universe was created. We have a theory (which is something 99.9% true, contrary to popular belief. Hypothesis are the things that we're unsure of) about the Big Bang, which is as close as we're going to get at this point in time.

Really, if God created everything, why do things have flaws naturally? He's an all powerful being, he could've very easily prevented this. Don't tell me that His logic was flawed enough to purposely create flawed beings.

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Also, today address the stoning of homosexuals. It seems to be a hot topic.

Yes, the old testament states homosexuality an abomination. Yes they were stoned.us But it doesn't mean the actions of those who threw stones represent Christianity. Example: Jesus didn't hate anyone, no sinners nor abominations. He met people who hated him, mocked him, met people who had a past of prostitution, and denied non of them.

As Christians, we as followers are supposed to do our bestowed to live as Jesus had. Of course, those who stoned the homosexuals obviously did wrong thinking they were doing god a justice.

I myself think homosexuals should have equal, if not more love from everyone. But homophobes make it hard to do that.

Just because some Christians are homophobes doesn't mean all Christians are. Sometimes you just gotta listen to the Christians that can do more than read and speak, and listen to those who can successfully interpret Gods word
    chibiichigo

Post by chibiichigo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

*writes down both jay and luke in my good christian book*
    NEXT!

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 pm

SkylerOcon wrote:
    Clatz wrote:You ever look at a building and say "it just got here with no architect"? Because that's what you say about the earth and the universe. You think particles collided and created the universe, and all matter within? According to science, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so how do 2 particles turn into planets, stars and all other matter?

I don't see how its so hard to comprehend that we just don't know how the universe was created. We have a theory (which is something 99.9% true, contrary to popular belief. Hypothesis are the things that we're unsure of) about the Big Bang, which is as close as we're going to get at this point in time.

Really, if God created everything, why do things have flaws naturally? He's an all powerful being, he could've very easily prevented this. Don't tell me that His logic was flawed enough to purposely create flawed beings.

Agreed, theories are widely backed hypothesis, this is indeed true. Science runs on hypothesis, Religion on faith. People act as they can't exist togather. But Science can explain alot, and so can religion.

So, I agree, believe what you wish to believe, I just want to state some understanding for the minority in this community being Religious folk.

Let me ask you this, do we need doctors for the perfectly healthy? No, of course not, we have doctors for the sick. So if God made the world perfecct, there would be no use for God, right? If every being was perfect, we would all be Gods. Sounds like a cult to me. Man and God have to have their differances, If God is "perfect" the only thing else for humanity is "imperfection"

Doctors help the ill, God helps the sinners. We can all use and appreciate a helping hand.

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm

chibiichigo2 wrote:*writes down both jay and luke in my good christian book*
    NEXT!

I literally Lol'd. Good Christians can be hard to come by. I see alot talk about church, then say how they hate homosexuals and Jews (jesus was a Jewish man, why would they even say that?) Also how they get drunk and high every week, and how they talk detrimentally about others.

They say their Christians, but act otherwise. I believe Christians are made by their actions, not their words. For every day people say "i'm christian" yet they go and walk the opposite way of their teachings.

Most of the time, you can spot a true Christian by his or her actions, not words.

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 pm

chibiichigo2 wrote:If your going to bother talking about religion you should have knowledge of it.
    Even though im agnostic ive read the bible, some of the quaran, the story of buddah, and also some hindu stories.

The Qu'ran sure is alot like the old testament huh?

I was a wee bit into Buddhism before Christianity. It's interesting, but it makes me wonder that if souls are recycled by rebirth, how is the world population growing? The souls must come from somewhere.

Though i really dig their outlook on karma.
    SkylerOcon

Post by SkylerOcon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Clatz wrote:Let me ask you this, do we need doctors for the perfectly healthy? No, of course not, we have doctors for the sick. So if God made the world perfecct, there would be no use for God, right? If every being was perfect, we would all be Gods. Sounds like a cult to me. Man and God have to have their differances, If God is "perfect" the only thing else for humanity is "imperfection"

Wow. You do realize that is this is true, then your God is pretty much just a shallow dick, right?
    chibiichigo

Post by chibiichigo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm

^ Thats one of my delimas as far as agnosticism goes, if there is a god, whos to say hes benevolent? He might be some sick bastard.

Ya, alot of religions and beliefs have that quality about floods and such, even older ones that worshiped multiple gods.

I dont enjoy Hinduism as much as Buddhism. Never been to Tibet or India though.

Clatz

Post by Clatz on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm

SkylerOcon wrote:
    Clatz wrote:Let me ask you this, do we need doctors for the perfectly healthy? No, of course not, we have doctors for the sick. So if God made the world perfecct, there would be no use for God, right? If every being was perfect, we would all be Gods. Sounds like a cult to me. Man and God have to have their differances, If God is "perfect" the only thing else for humanity is "imperfection"

Wow. You do realize that is this is true, then your God is pretty much just a shallow dick, right?

If that's how you want to put it. I'm no expert, but my response seemed fairly logical. If we were all god-like beings, those with bad intentions would have shredded the universe to bits by now.

According to Paradise Lost, Heaven existed prior to Earth, Universe, ect. And in Geness, which basically takes place post-paradise lost (Paradise Lost by the way is not included in the bible, that's more independent study), Adam and eve were tempted by "the serpent" and ate the forbidden fruit. From that point humanity kinda fell from grace and became struck with Mortality. It's kinda Adam and Eve's fault for the imperfection. But dwelling on imperfection won't get humanity anywhere. Move on and live productively.

But i can question Science in the same way. If everything is governed by the same universal laws, why are there imperfections and exceptions? Shouldn't everything be the same since matter obeying said laws should be uniform?

I mean let's face it, whether you're pro-science or pro-god, there are indeed questions that remain, well, "in question".
    Kalrad

Post by Kalrad on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I had this arguement on Gaia.

Religion is a choice not a demand. If someone chooses not to follow a certain religion, then leave that person alone. What harm does it cause you (not pointing fingers) to let them believe whatever they want? Is it really that hard to let people live as they please?

I have a bit of advice for the bible thumping nimrods out there that can't get laid unless they procalim that it's god's will.

That peice of leather bound 'justice' you hold there, that little thing you call a bible... IT'S A FRIGGIN BOOK! It's not a demand, it's not a religion, it's not a code of conduct. IT'S A LIST OF SUGGESTIONS WRAPPED IN FOLKLORE AND STORY TELLING.

I believe there is a god and I believe Jesus is my savior, but I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE!
    cocohuang

Post by cocohuang on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:39 am

blizen wrote:So i'v been thinking, no one in my family wants to be serious and tell me the real reason for religion and we have a few serious people here on these forums..so yea

basically "whats the point of religion!Am i the only one who sees it as a waste of everything?"

I think this problem also troubled me for a long time.
    blizen

Post by blizen on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 am

I eventually just caved in and kept my questions to myself until the time finally came. Basically I stopped caring and went with the flow. Like Lilly said, "why not". I'll get my answers one day, more than likely on my death bed or long after that in the world above.

(I had an FF7 Cloud moment just now hehe)
    Danneh

Post by Danneh on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Still agnostic. Just don't give enough fucks to bother with religion.

Doesn't really do anything for me, I have plenty of faith in myself without having to place it in a security mechanism.

micromicboy

Post by micromicboy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm with science myself

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:09 am